Published Dec 13, 2017"Has-beens shouldn't present awards to gonna-bes," Oasis's Noel Gallagher once famously said after accepting an award from INXS's Michael Hutchence at the 1996 BRITs.
Ironically, the Britpop band wouldn't take home a win at the annual awards ceremony for another decade, but they've offered up a treasure trove of similarly arrogant and antagonistic one-liners on a consistent basis ever since.
This year happened to be the best year yet for fans of their vulgar vitriol, due to both Noel and baby brother Liam deciding to release solo albums a month and a half apart from one other (the equally mediocre Who Built the Moon? and As You Were).
Whether it's all part of a master plan to keep their names in the press and drive up the asking price of a future reunion, or the Gallagher Bros. really do hate each other (and every other artist in the world, for that matter), one thing's for sure: in this garbage fire of a year, we couldn't keep our eyes off of these two trash talkers.
Top 7 Noel and Liam Gallagher Quotes of 2017:
7. "I see all that brown nosing is finally starting to pay off. NO SHAME." — Liam after discovering Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds were opening for U2 on their 30th anniversary tour for The Joshua Tree.
6. "That dick out of blur and the creepy 1 out of oasis need to hang there heads in shame as it's no dancing in the streets." — Liam upon hearing Noel's collaboration with Damon Albarn's Gorillaz, "We Got the Power."
5. "They sound good but then look like nerds." — Liam hearing METZ for the first time.
4. "People of my age have let themselves go, they're fat, balding idiots with fading tattoos. They sit in their garage and write shite like 'Sign of the Times' for Harry Styles. Which, quite frankly, my cat could have written in about 10 minutes!" — Noel on the state of songwriting in pop music.
3. "It's almost like she's snipping away at the last ribbons of Liam's sanity." — Noel on why he hired a scissors player for his Later… with Jools Holland performance
2. "That sounds like Adele shouting into a bucket." — Noel on Liam's As You Were single "Wall of Glass."
1. "I'd rather eat my own shit than listen to them bunch of beige fucks." — Liam on whether or not he'd ever watch Noel open for U2.