Published Dec 15, 2020Dave Chappelle recently got his decades-old Chappelle's Show pulled from Netflix, and now HBO Max is following suit.
Casey Bloys, chief content officer of HBO and HBO Max, made the announcement during Variety's Virtual FYCFest, explaining that HBO Max would be taking down Chappelle's Show at the end of the year.
"We had a conversation with Dave. I won't get into it, but it's very clear that it's a very unique and specific and emotional issue he's got," Bloys told Variety. "So at the end of the year, at the end of this year, December 31, we're going to honour his request and take the show down."
As previously reported, Chappelle recently vented serious frustration about his lack of payment from streamers due to a ViacomCBS contract he signed in the early 2000s.
In an 18-minute clip recently posted on Instagram, Chappelle opened up about the seriously crummy deal he got from his contract.
"People think I made a lot of money from Chappelle's Show," he said. "When I left that show I never got paid. They [ViacomCBS] didn't have to pay me because I signed the contract. But is that right? I found out that these people were streaming my work and they never had to ask me or they never have to tell me. Perfectly legal 'cause I signed the contract. But is that right? I didn't think so either."
You can revisit the video below.