Sacha Baron Cohen Says He'll Never Bring Back Borat Again
"He's locked away in the cupboard"
Published Jan 06, 2021Sacha Baron Cohen resurrected his most beloved character for Borat Subsequent Moviefilm last year, and despite its jokes, the film was very clearly intended to aid in getting Donald Trump out of office. Having succeeded in that pursuit, Cohen says he will now retire the character forever.
Speaking with Variety, Cohen explained that he's done with the Kazakhstan journalist.
"I brought Borat out because of Trump," he said. "There was a purpose to this movie, and I don't really see the purpose to doing it again. So yeah, he's locked away in the cupboard."
It makes sense that he'd want to avoid making another Borat movie. After all, as more anecdotes emerge, it sounds like it was a dangerous endeavour. In the same Variety interview, Cohen explained that Rudy Giuliani refused a COVID test before his controversial scene.
"There was this debate of what do we do?" Cohen said, pointing out that this made the interview violate their production safety protocols. "Do we go ahead with this scene? What happens if he has coronavirus? We concluded that it was worth the risk."
Read Exclaim!'s review of Borat Subsequent Moviefilm.