Nina Simone Remembered with Tribute Album Featuring Lauryn Hill
Published Jun 18, 2015This spring saw the premiere of documentary about Nina Simone, and with What Happened, Miss Simone? due to arrive on Netflix next week (June 26), the singer is set to be remembered with a tribute album. Notably, it features numerous contributions from Lauryn Hill.
The album is called Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone, and it will be out on July 10 through RCA. Of the 16 tracks, six of them were sung by Hill. Other artists on the comp include Usher, Mary J. Blige, Common, Gregory Porter, and Simone's daughter Lisa.
According to Rolling Stone, Hill was initially only supposed to contribute two tracks, but she ended up becoming deeply involved in the project and ultimately served as a producer alongside Robert Glasper. Hill said in a statement, "Because I fed on this music, both hers and lovers like her, like my basic food, I believed I always had a right to have a voice. Her example is clearly a form of sustenance to a generation needing to find theirs. What a gift."
See the tracklist below. Scroll past that to hear Hill's version of the epic soul ballad "Feeling Good."
This album is affiliated with the documentary; the film's producer Jayson Jackson acted as executive producer on the album. He was producer and manger for Hill and the Fugees, hence the singer's involvement here.
Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone:
1. Lisa Simone - "Nobody's Fault but Mine (Intro)"
2. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Feeling Good"
3. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "I've Got Life"
4. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Ne Me Quitte Pas"
5. Jazmine Sullivan "Baltimore"
6. Grace - "Love Me or Leave Me"
7. Usher - "My Baby Just Cares for Me"
8. Mary J. Blige - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"
9. Gregory Porter - "Sinnerman"
10. Common & Lalah Hathaway - "YG&B"
11. Alice Smith - "I Put A Spell on You"
12. Lisa Simone - "I Want A Little Sugar in My Bowl"
13. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair"
14. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Wild Is the Wind"
15. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "African Mailman"
16. Nina Simone - "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free"